Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My adventures with pinhole






This weekend I built a cardboard pinhole camera and decided to play around with it.  There were many things that would cause this adventure to be a total bust.  First of all, the only film I had around the house was probably 6 years old; the first time I took a bunch, I forgot to advance the film; my winder on the camera was very imprecise and I didn't know exactly how much to wind it; I had only very general guidelines as to exposure; I didn't have any idea how wide/narrow the angle would be; and when I thought I had it rewound, I opened the camera and found out the hard way that my rewinder didn't work.  So, I was basically shooting in the dark (actually, it was daytime, but you know what I mean).  I took these on color film, but I liked them much better when I converted them to b&w.  There is a ton of grain in the images and I'm not sure if that's just the character of pinhole photography or whether it's the film or something I did.  My photography class instructor does pinhole photography (in fact that's what influenced me to try it - thanks, Sarah), so I'm sure she can tell me what's happening.  Anyway, it was fun to experiment with and I'll probably do some more of it with b&w film.  These are the best images.

No comments:

Post a Comment