Friday, September 24, 2010

Black and blue sage


This is an image I made with a different kind of "camera".  The camera in this instance was my flatbed scanner.  I've been reading about making very detailed "photographs" with scanners and wanted to see what kind of results I could get.  I used a box lid that I painted with a matte black paint as the background.  You can really scan any object that will fit in the dimensions of the scanner and box lid and the detail that is rendered is amazing.  As you can see in the cropped image, you can enlarge the image a great deal without losing the detail.  It's like using an extremely good macro lens.  A lesson I learned, however, is that with the exacting level of detail shown, the glass of the scanner needs to be extremely clean.  Mine wasn't and I spent quite a bit of time zapping dust spots with Photoshop.  While this isn't a technique I'd probably use a lot, it's fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment