Sunday, July 4, 2010

Honey three ways



After taking over 200 photos yesterday, I wanted something quick and easy tonight.  Since I'm still trying to learn about lighting, I decided to take an object and photograph it in different light and evaluate the results.  This is a honey jar on our dining table, left over from breakfast this morning.  Some info I've read over the years says to put the light over the photographer's shoulder and let it fall onto the subject, and that's what I've done a lot in the past when taking photographs.  Only since I've been doing this blog have I started reading about and learning more about changing the angle of the light to better enhance the subject.  So here are three images of the honey jar.  I've taken one with the window light coming over my shoulder and the results were pretty flat and ho-hum.  The second one has the light coming from the side and that is much more interesting.  The shadows darken the background and side and give the subject much more depth.  The third image is with the sun backlighting the subject.  Again, a much more striking image.  I'm sure there are times when lighting the subject straight on will be the best choice, but as this shows, it pays to shoot from all sides.

1 comment: