Monday, May 3, 2010

Eyes - self portrait

A weekly photography newsletter I follow (Digital Photography School) had an assignment this week to shoot a photo of "Eyes".  Since it's been summer-like weather, I had an idea to do a self portrait in sunglasses and good sunlight.  Well, it's raining today, but I decided to set up some light by a window and try anyway.  I had in mind something serious and mysterious, with just one eye showing behind sunglasses.  Of course as I found out in other attempts at self portraits, I don't do mysterious or serious very well.  I come across looking cranky or depressed.  So I went with one with a slight smile.  I had put on some bright "summer" lipstick, and in some of the images I took, I liked the brightness, but in those photos, the lips were more of a focal point than the eyes, so I decided to soften and desaturate the color to play up the sunglasses.  In some shots, the glasses were so dark that my eye didn't show, so I finally chose this one with one eye showing behind the glass.

2 comments:

  1. Try as I may to look mysterous or sexy or sophisticated...I just look like I'm playing dress-up. You made a good choice....authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon. I guess some faces (like ours) just belong with a smile!

    ReplyDelete