Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Palm Grove - (hey Mikey - it's a food photo!)





To start with, a sunset shot from Sandy Ground last night.  I love Sandy Ground and seeing all the boats in the harbor made me wish we were back on The Dove with Larry, Fiona, Pam and Edward.  Today we went to one of our favorite spots - Palm Grove - for lunch.  Nat and his son Theon took great care of us and were the perfect hosts.  The restaurant is at the far eastern side of the island, down some sandy roads, so it helps to know about it before you venture there.  But once you're there, it's the best grilled lobster on the island cooked up and served by the nicest folks you'll meet anywhere.  After lunch I was complimenting Theon on the johnny cakes and he asked if I wanted Nat's recipe.  Of course I did, and so Nat wrote it out for me.  When I mentioned that I thought the quality was more about the technique than the recipe, he took me back in the kitchen and showed me how to fix them.  If you've never had a johnny cake, it's a little bit like a flat bread hushpuppy, and Nat makes the best ones ever.  After the cooking lesson, he also told me that if I lost the recipe I could always find it on Bon Apetit!  And here I was thinking I had some recipe treasure that no one else had!  Nevertheless, I doubt many people have had a personal johnny cake lesson with Nat himself.  Here are some pictures of Nat's place and the wonderful lunch we had there.  Mikey, I couldn't possibly take a photo of food without thinking of you!  I also included one of me on the beach with a rum punch.  George took this one, but this is the only one of me on the trip, so I just wanted to prove that I came along too.

No comments:

Post a Comment